Monday, July 18, 2022

Being Secular

I have never read or heard any political debates, at best I would skim through the headlines & despite my ignorance and lack of interest I have been reading so much about harassment of minority and those who raise their voice against the government that I started doubting our secular notions and concluded that we are moving towards a hindu rashtra. Putting the religious color aside, I was disturbed the harassment and injustice which many people have gone through, especially journalists. 

One of the articles which was much in the news was about the lookout circular against Aakar Patel who was the CEO of Amnesty International. My introduction / awareness about him was limited to a section in Hindu magazine in which he reviews a classic & the reviews of his 2 books - Our Hindu Rashtra & The price of Modi Years. 

So it was interesting to hear him on the Seen and Unseen Show where he was the guest and hear his views on journalism and the functioning of Modi government and how big decisions were made or how he deals with the constant battle he is fighting with the establishment - as we speak his passport is impounded and he cannot travel. 


His knowledge on journalism / media industry and the political machinery was phenomenal and although I am someone who ran away from political news - I ended up listening to the entire episode. What I liked was that most of what he was saying was based on facts, his opinions or future predictions were not different from the business scenarios we would make in corporate.


In a strange twist of fate I was listening to him in Goa which is predominantly roman catholic state driven by a Muslim which had idols of Hindu God & Goddess on the dashboard because the taxi belonged to a HIndu. 


I ended the podcast & my taxi ride with a strong sense of hope for India’s future. Amen! Insha'Allah! Jai Shri Ram.   


Day 17: 200 words/ day challenge (323 words)


No comments: