Friday, January 12, 2024

Korean Seduction


For almost a year, my elder daughter & my wife have become K-Drama buddies. They exchange notes on what to see, actors and some time binge together. I always looked at it with distaste - Gosh how can someone see these. From someone who see’s MUBI and makes list of what movies to see, what can you expect. 

This December with the entire family together at on place (which was possible for only 10 days) the girls decided to watch start up. Nopes not me was my refrain as the Korean sounds enveloped my house. 


Dinner time is family time so I ended up catching glimpses of the series “START-UP” which they were seeing. And slowly over 10 days I got the gist of the story and saw a few episodes for bonding but also for what I would call ‘harmless viewing’ / ‘relaxation’ / de-stressing. It was sweet and touching with boys crying, neat and clean kids with good manner & loving and caring parents, neat and clean cities, lots of fun moments, Korean sing-song sound which is quite sleepy / pleasing to your ears. It’s like Betaab or Papa kehte hain or Jo jeeta woh sikandar minus the villains.


You come out feeling all good and a heart full of love.


I could understand now why my daughter would see it for an hr after a strenuous day at work before she goes to sleep or how my wife would see it while knitting. I guess it is there way and I guess millions of people in India of destressing.


Postscript: Well, someone actually wrote this. LOL 😀

https://victoriaenrose.medium.com/3-valuable-lessons-from-the-korean-drama-start-up-12e44b07e9ee


No comments: