Sunday, June 18, 2023

Whale, the movie & Father’s Day

One of the movies which I wanted to see since the OSCAR was announced was Whale starring Brendon Fraser for which he won the best actor award. I had only seen the trailers and it looked like an emotional roller coaster ride with a super obese Fraser. You can see it in SonyLiv.

It was not a happy movie to see on Father's Day but I think the need to complete my list of OSCAR winners was important. The movie is about Charlie reconnecting with his daughter Elle after 12 years. He had left the family when she was 8 years old because he fell in love with a guy who was his student. So, obviously his daughter hated him. 


He had put on enormous weight after his boyfriend died and cut himself off from the world. Staying in an apartment, ordering food teaching students online - he used to take classes on creative writing. Whatever he earned was kept in an account for Elle, which was his way of redeeming his sins. He could have used the money to treat himself but he refused to do so and preferred to die than use the money.


Typical father behavior - saving for their kids and then walking into the sunset. In my case I am more similar to Charlie as I also seem to have also isolated myself from the world after I quit last year. Not a very social person I would rather be with my book and movie than go to a birthday party. Good thing is, unlike Elle both my daughters love me and are kind enough to accept me as I am, in fact they encourage me to complete my bucket list and do what I want to.


Somewhere between school and college, I took the backseat and their MOM took charge of college, expenses, buying list, wish list, budget - everything. I guess I was struggling with my depression and high level of stress at work. Or maybe I was not just attentive enough, but from being head of family I became a person non grata - except for entertainment. It took some time to get used to this new status - I struggled but slowly the acceptance dawned that this is the new reality. I guess I am happy that they got what they wanted when they wanted. 


More Power to my Dolphins on Father’s Day from the Whale. Will surface when needed.


No comments: