Sunday, December 08, 2019

Mumbai Diaries – 1


I have been hopping from Bangalore – Mumbai – Bangalore for more than a year now. And as it happens with any city you get to observe nuances of the city as you spend more time in it. Some musings below. Random stuff.

Most haunting image
One of the most haunting images in my mind was when I saw a group of girls running in rain in Marine drive. I wish I could click the image – but it’s captured in my mind and if I was a painter probably, I could draw it, instead let me try and paint it in words. Who knows, some day it may be an opening sequence of a black and white movie. I cannot imagine this in colour.

Imagine a clouded morning, touching a vast ocean far away at a horizon. You are sitting in a taxi silent with windows closed with no sound except the rains falling on your taxi. The curve of marine drive is quite far from where you are mostly empty because of heavy rains. And as you look at the horizon of rain and clouds meditatively, you suddenly see a line of girls one after the other running slowly one after the other against the beating rain, almost forcing their way through the rain. There is a tiredness in their movement, but you can sense the will power in them to make it somewhere. It’s a brief 10 second scene which has been imprinted in my mind and keeps coming back.

Many times when I run and almost near my finishing line, I just need to take those few steps and I know I will reach there.

(Written on 9th March) 

Postscript: No further entries.....I guess writing is what people lose out while busy working and making 2 ends meet. 

No comments: