Sunday, December 08, 2019

Dogs


The dog cried the whole night. I woke up intermittently and heard it. It was easy to differentiate the sound from an angry bark. One could feel the pain / hurt in the voice. Probably separated from the mother – caged in a small room in one of the apartments of my block. The owners must have got the dog that day.

Generally, I would ignore, but for some reason it set my mind thinking of this whole cycle of having pets and human beings need of getting undivided attention and love. Isn’t that why we keep a dog?  And for that we are willing to separate the child from the mother and condition her to follow our life. Stay cooped up in our apartment for the rest of their life.

As I ruminated over this and went for my morning walk. I met Lara (a dog) and recollected how many of my friends have adopted stray dogs from animal shelters, NGO’s who provide a home for these strays. As I googled, I was quite astonished so see there is a whole world carved out by humans for dogs. They must be feeling good, being taken care of and treated specially with special foods, walks in parks, doggy baths, meets, shows and more.

I came back hoping that the dog has settled down and will not cry the whole night tonight.

(Written on 9th March 2019)

No comments: