Friday, December 23, 2022

Leading a slow life series - 1

During my month-long trip to Assam & Kolkata, I saw so many events on sustainability happening in Bangalore but when the HSR cycling event happened last weekend I could not go as I was tied up with some work. Every week as a weekend to-do I read reviews of movies and books released - some which end up on my list to watch or directly get added as a Watchlist on various platforms. 

FOMO is something which I feel drives me and many of us. I have tried to consciously block the feeling and be happy with the choices I make. Unfortunately it is so hard wired that it creeps its ugly head as soon as I decide to make a choice. Which we do every moment in our capitalist society where freedom is equal to choice. Max It! is no longer the mantra but making a mindful choice is. 


Added to this is the pressure to perform - As soon as I saw the Bhoomi Workshop, the first thought was - I have to visit the 3 day sustainability workshop as I will connect with so many people and understand stuff around sustainability. That's the instant reaction. You have to pause and take a deep breath so you can choose the session which may interest you and attend only those sessions balancing it with personal commitments. It’s no longer about performance appraisal but more about immersion and learning at your own time and pace.

Leading a slow life requires you to be still and do check-ins with mindfulness activities which will bring you back to the center. We don’t need any self help book or app. Just focusing on your breath and doing deep breathing with your eyes closed for 3 minutes can bring you back to the center. We have to challenge ourselves to do this else we will run the same race which we quit.


There are many ways I connect back to my center whenever I get derailed (which is quite often):


Music: I think headphones were the best invention in the modern world, as it helps me block the noise around and get my focus back. Listening to instrumental - Indian classical especially santoor & flute & western classical - violin, cello or morning / evening ragas - Even during my crazy corporate days I used to always begin the days with these and they were the most productive days. The 2 K’s which are permanent are Kishore and Kabir - both gave soul and meaning to my days.


Walks, Runs, Yoga followed by a hot water bath: Any physical activity tires me but gets the adrenaline going but brings me back to a more active self. This morning ritual keeps me going wherever I am.


Postscript: There are 2 videos in this link, https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en  

  • The paradox of choice by Barry Schwartz

  • The art of choosing by Sheena Iyengar

There are also books by the same name which you can read, but get a good preview on these TED talks. I think the essence is good enough.


No comments: