Friday, December 23, 2022

The curious case of missing lower

I got up from my sleep to find my jogging lower missing. My memory flashed the picture that it was neatly folded and kept in my cupboard but I kept searching and could never locate the same. Giving up! I went for my walk telling myself that someone who needs it has got it. 

We dry our clothes in the 6th floor balcony railing and at times few things fall down and neighbours are good enough to Wap us. Yesterday we got a message that a grey Domyo t-shirt was on their balcony. I confidently told my wife that it was folded and kept in my cupboard. In fact I remember pointing it out to her.  But in reality it was not there - because the image was from morning when I wore it and went down to walk. By the time I went down and checked one of the cleaners picked it and made it his own (that’s my assumption). I was so confident that I came back and did not even check my cupboard. So, it was shocking when I could not find it in the morning and my mind refused to believe it. For many minutes I searched everywhere but I knew it was gone. My mind kept playing the same image in loop ‘neatly folded lower and t-shirt’. I even went and told the house keeping staff that if they can find it 


Maybe it is just me and my forgetfulness for which I am well known in the family, but I am also very methodical and systematic - so everything is in the right place. Hence this was a kind of breach in protocol which my mind (read ego) refused to accept and kept flashing that image telling me that I am not perfect. I had to focus and bring my mind back to work telling myself many things - it was needed by someone needy, getting another for 500/- is no big deal and if needed we will buy else we will manage with what we have. 


It’s a silly example but for me it was a reflection of how we are trapped by the ego - replace this with your favourite (?x?) and the story will not be different. In fact my mind told me that this was one of my favourite jogging lower which I have been using for all my trips 🙂. Even after knowing the thoughts kept coming back - how? Why, etc. This note as I often mention in my diary is to get the damn thing out of my way.


Reflections are crucial - many people term it as over thinking. I think it’s important to think things through but also know when to end. 


Now, I am done and dusted with the lower. 


Postscript: (The logical mind wins) Detective B: While talking a walk next day my friend told me the color was grey and not black which made me conclude that it was not mine. It was a whoop of joy when I discovered both neatly folded and kept along with the folded cloths of (who else) the wife. (updated 48 hrs after the post :) :) :)

No comments: