Saturday, January 14, 2012

Inspired by Orhan Pramuk….London Musings

There are authors who scare the hell out of people like me who want to write like Amitav Ghosh. I am half way through “River of Smoke”, and I know it will take a lifetime and more to do the research, visualize and write something on those lines.


On my way to London I finished one part of “Others Colors”. It was amazing to read the chronicles. It was almost like you were reading his mind, moments he cherished or which he did not, thoughts on abstract things like chair. You could almost, glimpse – peek into a writers mind and I almost feel that someone ripped off few of thoughts / expressions from my mind and put it there. These were essays and thoughts / views – on just about anything.


For lot of us writing becomes a stumbling block – first you need to find time out of you paying hectic schedule and get the right thoughts when you sit down to write and then you need to have enough time to finish the thought (the below notes took 2 months), and then when you put it up you hope few encouraging bloggers will put up a few comments….and after few blogs you do not know why do we need to ferret out those few hours & go through the hardship when you can discover a new book, a new place, a new movie…..and so on so forth. All these are equally intellectually stimulating. So writing in our purposive world actually serves no purpose (objective is more for work place so..)

Reading OP was a revelation because it in a way showed why he wrote what he wrote and maybe he became what he became. So, here goes once again…and this time I hope the journey goes much longer than earlier ones.

As long as budding writers like me enjoy those few moments I think we will continue to write inspite of the fact that we get published in our life time or not.

No comments: