Sunday, March 07, 2010

Holi - Convenience & Traditions


This year Holi was on Monday which was not a holiday (being in Bangalore). Natasha Appartments that confluence of culture thanks to the IT brigade and dominated by North Indians decided to play "Holi" in the morning and have the "Holika Dahan" at night. In real world "Holika Dahan" happens the previous day.

I was just reflecting on it and thought....Holi was never about ..holika dahan or victory of good over evil. It was always about convenience & fun over traditions.

When I was a kid it was about going all over the campus, having bhujiya, sweets, chota kids crying, bada kids doing dadagiri, the teenagers looking for their opportunities (I mean boys).

In college it was about bhang and it's after effects. Some one crying for 3 hours, someone holding on to a pole singing for hours and few of us in the mud n water tank. And yes lot of mis happenings. My IMT friends will remember....

This year, I didn't want to go down and put gulaal on peoples faces whom I hardly knew, so just put tikas on each other, kids went down had a blast came back completely drenched....

Above: A photograph of the way Holi is played in Delhi. This was 2004, ya that's me , reema and the kids...Gosh! I will never forget that one...

No comments: