Friday, June 09, 2023

Mindfulness Challenge

Source: thepathway2success.com

Few days back I finished a 21 day mindfulness challenge. 

I always wanted to do a course on mindfulness, having read so much literature around it. So when the 21 Day Challenge was organised free, thanks to the Wellbeing movement - I jumped in and joined on the 9th day. 


I could not do all the 21 day prompts - because I realised that many of the activities were something I picked up as part of my DIY in the last few years & have been doing it off and on. I focused on stress / anxiety release, focusing on breath and a few others - which were in the  form of guided meditation. I have been using the app CALM for 10 years listening to London English so it was a good change to listen to Sumati in Indian English & she has a beautiful & soothing voice which envelops you as you put on your headphones.


From a framework perspective,

Everyone is clear on What ? (Mindfulness & Meditation is needed to be calm). How ? is where everyone struggles. How to be mindful. How to do deep listening ? How to control anger ? How to be more compassionate?


The 21 days challenge clarified 3 things to me:


One, it establishes the fact that it’s not 1 thing, it’s an essential ingredient in everything. Morning Walk, eating, bathing, listening in addition to the mindful practices like meditation to release stress / anxiety or meditation to focus on breath. 


2nd, With so much literature / videos / opinions we should not get overwhelmed (I was) - start small & do it. I will do some of the 21 day activities but 1 thing I have taken up as a challenge is for the month of June - every day I will do a 10 mnt anxiety meditation in the evening after work & before I go to sleep.


Lastly it helps us understand that mindfulness is not a magic wand - we have to practise it daily and every moment till the last breath. 


Even at 87, the Dalai Lama gets up at 4 and practices.


How old are you ?   


Postscript: I liked this simple article which captures many of the things we learnt in the last 21 days. https://www.thepathway2success.com/12-simple-ways-to-practice-mindfulness/

No comments: