Sunday, June 19, 2022

Back to Running

One of the 2 things which Bangalore gave me was Running & the other is Swimming (seasonal & rare with the rainy weather prevailing) which has helped me to maintain my balance and give a consistent sense of achievement - dopamine - satisfaction.


What started as a fun and group activity, when few of us in the apartment started going to Cubbon Park every Sunday for a run followed by breakfast has become now a solitary activity of running in the back lanes of the Old airport listening to birds, passing occasional runners and cyclists on the way. A pair of shoes is a must for any of my trips - during my frequent travel to Mumbai I would run in Marine drive, Worli sea face & Gateway of India. 

I know many people who took to running as a fix for depression or just to beat the stress levels. For me I love the feeling of physical exhaustion which comes after running, it’s like all my muscles have gone through a thorough massage - there are multiple times when a pulled muscle got ok after running & my mind being completely focused on getting to a point and making it back & being completely blank. It’s the only time when the mind is quiet.

I avoid city marathons and run on my own. The Sunday after the TCS 10 k, I did my own 10k in an hour. I love the trail marathons better as it is less crowded and also gives a chance to experience the place and take a break. Kaveri trail in November & Goa in December are coming up and I plan to do at least a half in these 2. Injury is a big scare and last time I tried half my knee gave up at 17 and even after spending a lot of money on physio the only way I got back to running was resting for almost 6 months.

For me Running is like the byline for Auroville Marathon - Run for the joy of running.

Day 5: 200 words/ day challenge, 333 words

Postscript: Does your mind wander a lot. Well, let it wander - it will boost your creativity. Moshe Bar, an award-winning neuroscientist, writes in his latest book, ‘Mindwandering: How it Can Improve Your Mood and Boost Your Creativity’, about our unfocused mind. 

Read his interview here https://www.thehindu.com/society/neuroscientist-moshe-bar-new-book-harness-brain-divya-gandhi/article65524474.ece or 

see the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLUiVSUIWs

No comments: