Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Running Log 2 - When D(ata) rules


That's D
So, It’s been 2 months of running now & here’s how the 2nd months went

Data & Goal Setting: After my initial metric of “no of rounds of my apartment” I realized I needed larger goals something which is closer to what I want to achieve i.e. distance & time. After browsing through the net I downloaded runkeeper a simple app which started giving me very quickly – the no of km’s I ran in how much time. As I started looking at km’s / time – it gave a new dimension to my running.  I started relating my daily runs to my larger objective of a ½ marathon or a 10 k to start with. By the end of the month I did 6.37 km in 38.52 seconds & around 25 km/ week of only running. It also helped when I met my coach and fellow runners. For anyone who is starting up – this is a must.

Running on the roads: I always wondered Why would somebody do it, especially if you have a small circuit within your apartment. Not only it is dangerous, it is also toxic as u take in all the polluted air. My first run was to touch the Koramangla U turn from my apartment (inner ring road to Koramngala) that’s around 3.5 km. By the end of the month I was the going till the Ijipura Signal that’s 6.2 km. Running early helped me avoid the traffic still it was bad – one could smell shit & urine in parts of the road, sometimes it felt I was running a obstacle race as I had to avoid pot holes, water logged drains, construction material and jump into the so called footpath which was taken over & modified by most of the shops. But this was 500m or so but the fun was when you got of this space & moved to open road, it was lovely to run with the rising sun as if you are competing with it & at most part the air was fresh & it just felt good to run in an open area rather than going round & round the apartment – which becomes suffocating after some time. But the biggest benefit was in pushing yourself to just do a little bit more, once you are out you know you have to come back, if not for this I would not have touched 6.5 km in 2 months.

Shoes / Injuries: I had one large blister in my right feet and I was not comfortable with shoes but you cannot just go buy a Nike for 7k and later say – this is not working. For a communist minded Bong this was a NO GO. So I carried on, but by the end of the month my shin bones were paining not during the run or walk but in general. At 45+ this signals bother you & decided to read about this.

Deanne & D: I picked up Shut Up & Train by Deanne Pandey, just because that was the only book on fitness in the library & it turned out to be quite nice. Apart of generic nutrition, body & food It had a separate chapter on running & explained few things like strength training, breathing techniques while running etc. While it was nice to read but you can only do that much so I decided to go in for a coach. D came recommended by CKV, met him on a Sat at Lal Bagh after filling in a simple questionnaire. As I spoke to him he barked commands on how to do some exercise, explained why a particular injury happens & joked around with few. To me he said stop running for 2-3 weeks so that shin will heal else it might be detrimental plus told him a few exercise & send him a record of my food/sleep for a week. He was away from last week of Mar to May 1st week, so we could start in May 1st week & still do a half marathon by end of the year.

Driving back from Lal Bagh after a hearty breakfast at MTR I mused, although there was a sense of disappointment as I had to let go of my regime I felt this was the sensible thing to do. Yes the adrenalin rush was good for the first 2 months – it gave me the confidence that 10k is doable & half marathon I can complete but I will need help. Also I am in this for fun & for long run.


Written on 2 nd March

No comments: