Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Running Log 1 - When every minute counts

Inspired Reading - Book gifted to me by Venkat
I have been a regular fitness person – walk-run-freehand exercise-yoga for an hr has been a 5 day routine since past 5 yrs. There will always be those usual days or weeks when you are travelling or not well but the underlying philosophy was to be fit. Going to gym, body building or having an instructor was anathema to me as I am a staunch believer of doing it yourself.

30 days back on 31st Dec the marathon bug hit me, starting thought was – it will be tough but it will not be that tough. I am a fit person anyway.

After one month here are some after effects….

Starting up, after talking to a few 10 yr old runners &  a first time runner (who was my real inspiration) I was referred to www.runningandliving.com – I got the jist that I need to increase the stamina and hence increase my walking & running time. So I increased my walking time from 15 mnt to 45 mnt but the real challenge was to increase the running time. My typical running time was 3 to 5 mnts which is roughly 1.5 to 2 round of my apartment. As it’s easier to count no of ‘apartment rounds’ I could easily move from 2 to 3 but beyond that it was like climbing a mountain.

Body, one month has seen a shift in the body muscles. I can feel the muscles which I could not before I started running especially when I move my legs to push the accelerator in the busy traffic of Bangalore. I can feel the firmness in my tummy & arms as I move around but for the first half of the day body feels stretched & exhausted & by evening I am completely dead. Today I am nursing a blister & pains in my calf muscles. Getting a trainer is playing in my mind, what was an anathema might become a necessity.

Mind, I always believed in mind over body, for running (and as a preparation for marathon) your mind is the key (with my limited understanding of a month). The concentration, attention, the push to do the last round it’s all in the mind till your body gives out. But the bigger discovery was the thoughtless or a blank mind. With the current status of work occupying 70% of your waking hrs & the increased connectivity – work is all pervasive. Thankfully running has helped me in blanking out most of my thoughts in the early hrs of the day – something which books on Buddhism failed to achieve in spite of me spending a yr on them.

Music, I had given up listening to music while running(or walking) couple of years back as I wanted to listen to the birds but even at 6 – mostly it’s traffic noise & less of birds chirping. So the headphones are back & with that I have got back my classical music which keeps me focused on running. There are chords / beats / renditions I glossed when I heard it while working / driving / flying – now the same music has a different meaning. This re-ignited my search for more meaningful music

Food, like all true bongs I enjoy my gulab jamun & my beer but I was disciplined to maintain my morning fitness regime so that the fat don’t add up – and more importantly show in the middle. But it started showing up few months back when pants needed urgent alteration & I had to rush to pick up dark shirts so that the bulge was not conspicuous. At 40+ your body probably burns less calories, as your metabolism goes down somebody told me over beer. So I am on sabbatical (3 months), no booze, no sweets, no colas, no rice….I guess this is the most difficult change.

But, where am I on running, after all that philosophy.

When I spoke to a colleague a few weeks back, who has been running for last 10 yrs – his time was 2 hrs 20 for a half marathon & I am at 20 mnt. As I write this I realize that every agonizing minute counts the journey of 15 mnts took a month.

I have to add maybe another 5 hrs to my 20. Will I make it by end of the year. Too early to say but I am sure I will attempt one marathon & I guess it will also make me a better person… 

Written in end Jan 2015

No comments: