Saturday, March 04, 2023

Banshees of Isherine - Some more ruminations

I have stayed with the movie for a day now - reading various interviews, reviews, making of the movie etc. In my morning walk, like it always happens, some thoughts from the previous day creep in - so here is a different take from whatever I have read.

Most reviews spoke about the Padraic character played by Colin Farrel. On how he was a simpleton and believed in goodness and simple things of daily life and ritual. Which is, herding his cows to feed them and talking and walking with Jenny his baby donkey, having his food with his sister and best part of the day was having beer in the pub with Colm his buddy aimlessly. And how the movie is all about coming to terms with Colm stating he does not want to be his friend any longer. And so about friendship and dealing with the bitterness etc.


No one talks about why Colm made that decision - which it struck me as a very nice take on the current obsession of most of us and especially start-ups. Which is - to leave a legacy behind. I guess it all started with Steve Jobs and his apple. But most of us are wanting to make that dent in this world and we will go to whatever extent we want to to do that. Me included. Which is a risky proposition - if it works well you are team Apple & if it doesn’t you are fraught with stress and irreversible damage to you mental n physical health 


In many of his monologues and explanations he gives Padraic who plays fiddle (kind of violin) he says “No one will remember you, me, our family but music is everlasting that is we remember Mozart & other composers. I also want to spend my last few years creating something so give me that space. Don’t talk to me because our chit-chatting idling is a waste of time. Leave me alone”


The particular conversion is very funny as well as meaningful, where Padraic does not have any clue on Mozart and says”I don’t know him. But it’s more important to be nice than being remembered.” Something to that effect. And he says that because Colm set the term that he will cut one of his fingers if Padraic talks to him.


Again I found it quite insightful at least for me - because when you are very objective in career or even personal life you may become very clinical and hurt / ignore others around you especially your family and relatives. 


One of those lines which made me think and change my perspective was from Stephen Covey. He says:

Don’t be efficient. Be effective.

No comments: