Saturday, October 01, 2022

Khosla Ka Ghosla

Last few months, in fact for a year now, I have been trying to sell baba’s house in Delhi. Speaking to brokers is the first because without them nothing moves especially if you are selling a DDA flat. 

So there were brokers of all kinds

  • one who is based in Uttarakhand but has someone who will get it done - Ho Jayega Sir! Don’t worry! Was a common statement and after they visit the house they will list out all the reasons why it will be difficult to sell and try to get the price down.

  • One who stays below & got someone to agree to buy and after the discussion quietly said - ‘Mujhe 1% dena’ For what I asked. Introduction Ke.

  • There were few brothers - every time I called their wife would pick up and say - haa ghar dikhane haye, which was complete nonsense - because no one showed up. 


Operating out of Bangalore and having stayed here for 16 years I was a soft spoken south Indian who did not speak any south Indian language but had lost the Delhi swagger. All those who stayed in Delhi will understand what I mean. Slowly I moved from English to Hindi not only in speech but also text (W app) and I could immediately see a change in the response.


Thankfully, the broker was soft spoken, while I was prepared for a war it was armistice right from the first call and thanked my stars that I got a level headed guy to deal with. Even the buyer was good so was able to close everything - My Bangalore gentleness was appreciated by both :)


Postscript: Khosla Ka Ghosla is a 2006 film which was directed by Dibakar Bannerjee and won the National Award for the best feature film. Kamal Kishore Khosla is a middle-class man living in New Delhi where he has purchased a plot of land to build a house. It's a black comedy also starring Ranvir Shenoy & Vinay Pathak duo. You can see it in Disney.

No comments: