Monday, September 05, 2022

News - Circa September 22

Reading news in a newspaper form has been a habit for the last 30 years. I am so obsessed that the newspaper guys at times get thoroughly confused. On Saturday & Sunday I take weekend editions of Mint - Mint Lounge & The Hindu magazine  and weekdays ET or TOI. The experience of holding the paper and reading the newspaper is something till now could not be replaced by reading the same on a mobile or an app. 

The same is true for books - Books have now encroached my wardrobe and they lie their forlorn between by dwindling formal shirts and t’s and jackets. The wife has switched to a kindle I just could not. So I end up carrying huge - fat books through airports, fortunately this will be a thing of the past as I move to train & bus as my primary transport and get out of my corporate travel.


But as they say - change is in the air. Here’s the new outlook, circa September 22. 


When I looked objectively at reading the newspaper I realized it was a real waste of valuable time trying to read things which I did not want to. I would just scan the paper to understand what’s happening in India & around the world but many of it I would detest like the politics or the killings and murders etc. Most news spread despair and were witch hunts. 


So I unsubscribed from the daily newspaper and kept only the weekend which had interesting articles and reviews of books / movies or events etc - more in the culture zone. Which is what I like - especially Mint Lounge & Hindu magazine whose quality of articles I loved


I subscribed to In Shorts for quick updates on mobile, and bookmarked a few independent websites like Scroll, the wire, quint for a more detailed reading. I registered on Splainer but after reading the mails did not join the paid subscription. Somehow the choice of topic did not appeal to me. I plan to subscribe to CTQ compounds once I am back from my month long sojourn. I also looked at the sites spreading positive news like logical indian, the better india - you can visit them for some sudden visit of inspiration like our story but not a daily news feed. I also picked a few instagram posts around sustainability & columnists & writers in Twitter whom I will follow.  


Done with the pre-work - I set a time of an hr in the morning for catch up & afternoon for long article reading and research on topics I liked especially videos to arouse me from sleep. Night for research and my personal writing. 


Let’s see how it goes. 


No comments: