Monday, September 05, 2022

How will you measure your life ?

Many years back I stumbled on this book in a library. It is a very small book and this was from someone who had started the whole story of innovation way back in 19 97. I had recommended the book to many of my friends, Like any other philosophy this asks the usual question but approaches it like any other Harvard article it approaches it like a problem to be solved and hence gives certain ideas which are based on past cases / situations.

In brief it said the same thing which Stephen Covey said - value relationships, find time to nurture them, do what you love and believe in, but 1 thing which was new and stuck me - was Compromising your integrity is a slippery slope, therefore don’t do it. This is explained beautifully (Have you decided on something that was in contradiction in what you believe; however, justified it as a decision you’d just take “just this once?” This is an illustration of how detrimental these exceptions can be - i vaguely remembered an example which he had mentioned from his life where he was the key team member of a basketball play off and since the timing clashed with his prayers if I am not wrong - he was desperate to go but he did not.)


Don’t get into the trap of - Just this once. It stuck me because we are making these exceptions all the time - at least I do. So, it’s not about the big battle or decision but it’s about the small ones we fight every day (I did not want to use plastic bag but the eggs would break if I wrap it in paper and put in the bag - I will take it just this once and next time get the egg case, this happened few weeks back - You cannot compromise on that). I know it can be super tough - but that’s the only way to live a life of integrity. 


At 50 & at the crossroads - I also asked this question to myself a few years back, a larger question of what would mean to lead a life of integrity for the next 25 years. How will I measure my life ? If you think hard, the choices in front of you will astound you because there is so much you can do as compared to when we passed out of school or college - But after running the corporate race for the last 25 years the first thing one needs to do is unlearn & slow down. If one wants to.


Some thoughts which came to my mind was:

  1. Spread Joy and Happiness every day, Give if nothing else time. (Read volunteer)

  2. Live a slow, uncluttered & sustainable life (read Don’t buy) 

  3. Make earth more sustainable - Can I be passionate about this?

  4. Reconnect with friends & extended family 

  5. Rekindle your passions - read(classics, translations, long form articles), write (daily), see (B/W movies), hear (amazing world of podcasts), experience creativity (plays, paintings, installations), run, travel, cook.

These are not goals but principles with which many of us want to live by and not uncommon but then the “just this once” catches on and we slip. 


Once I had time to think and had the space to practice, I still had to work really hard to unwire (because we are so hard wired in our consumption habits) just say no because many actions happen unconsciously and under pressure of social discomfort that you have to be prepared to be uncomfortable and ready for confrontation with your own self.


The self which you have created.  


Letting Go is the toughest part - I am hoping the rest will follow. I am still learning.


Postscript: See Pixar’s latest offering Turning Red on Disney to understand the above :)


No comments: