Friday, March 01, 2024

Unconditional Love - On Death


The last death I experienced in my family was that of Baba. It transformed me in many ways. I was so consumed by it that I did not have much time for anything else. Last week when Papa passed away could see the reaction from family, neighbors and his friends.

Unconditional love from the neighbors kept us going for 4 days. They had lived in that house for almost 50 years and most neighbors were like extended family. Although I must say in last 25 years when the children grew, got educated and moved away - things were not the same. But now, nothing mattered - starting from morning tea to night dinner everything kept coming without any questions asked. We had to push back after 3 days so we could start our kitchen.


His friends most of them at late 70’s and early 80’s were at peace and there was a a glow in their face of done what they could and basking in the glory / end of a journey. Most of them had ailments, brain surgery - heart - surgery - arthritis, but none were complaining at that point. In one of the auntie mentioned that they were like dry leaves on a tree. They can fall / called anytime. I will never forget their smile and calmness. I had only read something similar in books or seen in movies, but this was real - in flesh and blood.


I wanted to record this - because unconditional love is usually not found and we found it in a very unexpected place and time. 


This is something even fire cannot take away from us.


No comments: