Monday, March 20, 2023

The Garden & Unrealised Dreams

 


We stay in a flat in Bangalore – so it’s only concrete around us at home. We have using a composter to convert our wet waste to manure. Everyday morning when I go to mix the waste I touch the old wet waste which is almost half formed soil. Running it through my hands is my only feeling of soil. We have small pots in which we put plants and hope that they stay alive.

One of my dream was to sit in the garden in an easy chair reading with a dog by side – You know kind of house you see in old 70’s, that image is stuck in my head.

So, every time I come to Jaipur where my in laws stay – it’s like an unrealised dream, the lawn and the flowers and the house. There is a driveway and a lawn, beds of flower, and also a mango tree which is full of flowers now (mid-march), butterflies, birds, squirrels. The whole place is like an eco-system which we wanted to be a part of, creating something looks like a distant dream.

So I soak it in – a walk in the terrace which gives a lovely sunset view, walk under the mango tree, or photograph the different flowers, birds. During winters, sit in the warm sun and read a book.

As they grow old, the place is becoming a difficult place to maintain, but they stick on to it like I do with my dream.

They have realised it and I am yet to realise.

Maybe I will never, but what’s wrong in dreaming, after all that’s what keeps us all alive.

No comments: