Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Slowing Down

Did you know that it take 1mnt 45 seconds to heat the boiled water in your gas vs 45 seconds in the microwave.

  1. Did you know that to cook a meal for 2 - a basic sabzi, dal & rice (where you are cooking looking at the you tube and making the sabzi) it for the first time take 1 hr all inclusive.

  2. Did you know that, when you water the plant and touch the soil in your small piece you feel that you have touched a larger being and feel a connection - Really you can?

  3. Did you know that you can buy groceries, biscuits without plastic - like 30 years back ?

  4. Did you know that you will get paid if you give plastics out to an organization who will help you recycle it. 


I didn’t. 


The answer to all the above was convenience & reason today we need convenience is because we don’t have time. The reason we don’t have time is because roads are blocked / broken and at times filled with water and we have to travel to the office and that would take an hour or more. If you don’t go to the office you are hooked on to Teams call for the same amount of time. You want to reward yourself in the evening or on the weekend - so you binge watch (i can’t) have a drink, go out, order in - but wait there is no ice - no prob - you will get it in 15 mnts - thanks to Blink It.

 

I didn’t live by many of the things I mentioned above in italics all the time but I did a few things some time. But, it’s true I discovered the answers to all the 5 questions in the last 2 months. I am still trying to find creative ways of using time meaningfully in my 2nd Innings which is, after I took an early retirement - refusing to run the meaningless race.

 

When you slow down,the first thing you discover is that there is a lot of time which is such a luxury - but it takes time to get used to it. You are so used to being busy and multi-tasking that you feel like a student who is caught cheating in his exam. You have this constant urge to do something - you need some goals, some milestones to feel worthy. 

 

How can someone not do anything? This is the expression I get when they see a guy with black hair who has retired. I used to feel very insecure when I said(say) - I don’t know - Am figuring out? It’s a kind of break year for me. You know I want to do sustainability but I also want to do photography, paint, go to Japan & meet Murakami. Before I can finish - I can hear it “He is nuts? He is worse than my 12th class son”

     

I continue walking & when I see the next person approaching I adjust my volume and start listening to Kabir - Ud Jayega Haans Akela….


No comments: