Friday, September 15, 2017

Of traditions and keeping them alive?

Tradition is all bout dressing up ? 15th August Class Photo
As kids growing up in 80’s, we just towed along with our parents / larger family / friends because of the comfort which comes with just being with people whom you know and be happy and tradition just helped us being together. Durga Puja was one such occasion – wearing one new dress every day, keeping fast and giving Anjali, sitting down as a group and eating bhog – these were the lovely moments I often remember and cherish.
With the Puja approaching in 2 weeks we packed 2 tops each for our daughters living in boarding and told them to wear them on Puja days. Probably they will but they did not find it reasonable as to why they should wait for 15 days when they can wear it the next day.

This made me look back at how the entire tradition of Puja has slowly become another commercial venture especially in a city like Bangalore where I stay for last 11 years and except for few years when I am out on vacation or visiting Delhi / Jaipur where my extended families stay I have celebrated most of Puja days at Bangalore. Both me and my wife have grown up singing / dancing in the programs which were conducted during puja which in those days were more a homely affair than a large commercial event as it happens in most of Bangalore.   

When I tried to dig deeper with my children who will be very soon out in different cities starting their college on how they would celebrate next year when they were in a different city – they reaction was typical of their age, it depends who all around and maybe if time permits. At first instance, the picture I visualized was a death of tradition which we have grown up with and felt sad that I am unable to uphold the same for my daughters. I in fact felt I am responsible for its death 
But on deeper reflection I felt that – we (at least me) have all gone thru this. And it’s a reflection of how things have changed around us and has changed us. In this case Me - The primary unit.

For my parent’s puja and it’s celebration defined him and his family hence we (that is his family) were all interned into it. It defined him as someone who is Bengali. So today I can relate strongly when I read a passage on Puja in Jhumpa’s book or Chitra’s book because for 3 of us it defined us – it was our fibre. Not so for the next generation or my kids – for them it’s an outing no different from going to a mall – it’s all about food. Durga Puja for them is a folklore or a mythological tale fabricated for social reasons i.e. keeping a group as one / social peace etc.
There rational outlook has God/Durga Puja and traditions of 5-day puja with all that I mentioned above are in the periphery of a scientific, rational and logical outlook. There is nothing emotional about it.


Maybe they go thru it just to make peace and Wapping there friends ‘This is a fancy show I have to go thru every year for my parents.’…….So be it !

No comments: