Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Social Network…


I saw the social Network with awe, intrigue and lot of excitement. It’s rare that you get a glimpse of what goes on inside a geniuses mind. The impact when the idea hits the world, and the politics, machinations of the industry, the battle between the idealism of an idea and the reality of a commercial world.

Don’t we all have all ideas? Don’t we all want to see it grow roots, blossom, bear fruits which are enjoyed by others. I am no different, everyday my head buzzes with ideas which I want to plant. But because of the security & trappings of my current life I push the idea out of my mind. But, I do not want to discuss my ideas…..I was more keen (as I am always is, these days) to understand “how can I help ideas to germinates in my kids mind”. Some say I am obsessed with my kids…well then I am. Don’t mind.

A lot of people especially people who have read abroad and come back (although I do not want to generalize that) have rubbished our education system and I am no different. But whenever I read this I only question myself. OK. Great! So, what’s going to happen to my babies I can’t wait for the system to change I want my kids to invent the next “Social network, maybe artificial network – where u do not need ipads / touch system, I am sure by then PC’s will cease to exist. I can also see lot of correlation with the corporate world – we need to innovate today and generate results for next quarter, not wait for the IT systems to get in place.. which might take yrs. I know it’s a long journey…so I need to start NOW!!!

I also read a very interesting article a few days back (and I have been reading a lots of them in last few years)on how fresher’s out of MBA courses have started doing things on their own – a lot is on the technology front and how solves our life although I feel we are just complicating or life more n more by giving us too many choices. But what I like about this article was these kids had the audacity and courage to create things for the society in large – well let me say it, for villagers. Now a days we have started defining society as 200 kms / 500 km’s around your office but most products / innovation are for the top end of the pyramid. These fresher’s have created purifiers costing 300/- which can be afforded by villagers and few other products in the same line.

I kept thinking – The social network was launched because it was cool for boys to rate girls in the campus and what every boys & girls aspired for in that age. And I said “Do I want that to be starting thought before they discover / invent something.” It looked too silly and shallow as a thought. I know the same got evolved in a larger need for the populance to stay connected. And, I guess I will be equally proud if my kids can do that as compared to a product / idea which serve as the social need of the country.

What I am scared of is something which Mark mentions in the movie. “It was cool to hang out in the canteens / pubs but now it will be cool to hang out on the net.” Millions of young Indians are doing just that, resulting in ideas / thoughts breakthroughs in that sphere. In a way it’s a parallel world, cocooned in the comforts provided by us – the parents. Many of our kids have actually not seen India in which we grew up.

The touch-feel-see-experience-learn cycle is something which we as parents should never lose sight of, because that is what will define their thoughts / imaginations and probably the next new big discovery. We have the responsibility to make them sensitive to the environment and explain the real India and it’s value.

http://changents.com/trina-talukdar. Earier on today I was reading an article in DNA which spoke about Trina who runs a small NGO called Kranti from her rented house had been asked to vacate because they preferred married women. Read about her to understand what I mean about being aware of the world and taking action.

No comments: