Thursday, September 28, 2006

Delhi - A city of distances

We must have heard that a zillion times. But my (and my family) meeting with Ravi and his family epitomizes this. Ravi and we were together in IMT - where we did our MBA together and shared a nice rapport. Out of the entire lot of 200 people I am in touch with 5 of them, he is one of them.
He has been out - Japan then in Bangalore. I used to make it a point to meet him when I was in Bangalore. Keep in touch on mail, talk over the phone etc.
He shifted base to Delhi 1 n half yr's back. After 1 n half yr's of planning.....finally our families met.....and of course we had a good time......
But it makes me wonder,
Is it really distances, or is it the commitment to a relationship or is it that there are too many things which we want to do....our life has been a game of prioritisation, friend or wife or children or colleagues or boss or movies or my hobby or my body....End of the day we have a finite time and we can maintain finite relationships.. ......that's the truth of our life but it's a paradox.
When I was young and used to stay in Cantonment (DAD being Air Force)...we used to interact with atleast 1 family a day or alternate days, have regular parties, go out for picnics, read books......and literally grew vegetables in our garden.
There was no mobile to be in touch all the time, no PVR / Barista / Ansals to indulge in movie and then window shop and then have a bite.....or drink and take a rick back home / barsati early in the morning.....
I somehow feel we were more connected in 19 70's with our inland letters, PCO's to make STD calls, than the 2000's - when life has become so impersonal.....that everything is done through the net / computer / phone ......where is the personal touch?
Is technology bringing us closer superficiously ......but taking us apart as individual and our relationships.......Perhaps!!???. Some cute snaps to end the post with.

No comments: